Friday, March 28, 2008

Atypical day

It seemed like a usual day in office, things were progressing at their own speed, and then suddenly my mother woke me up. "Wake up dear, or else you will miss the bus" she said. That is when I realized that a usual day to office and in office can only be a dream. My days are sometimes unusual, at times strange, other times abnormal and always atypical. I was just about to start thinking a little deeper, something that I do rarely, into this topic that crept into my head, when Amma's voice punched my ear. The voice from the kitchen at 6:45 am on a weekday yelling at me to get out of bed is something that is common, but the words used are always diverse. These words run across the animal kingdom - from a tiny insect like cockroach to a lazy buffalo, and are used alternatively in Tamil and Kannada. I ran to the kitchen to tell her that I am alive, awake and running around, which made her get back to her chores.

My dad drops me to the bus stop everyday and he has an adventure almost daily. Like a typical dad, he used to ride slowly, carefully and patiently before I started to motivate, kindle and pester him to ride super fast while chasing the Wipro bus. After negotiating with mom on the adequate quantity of breakfast for me, which differs for different types of breakfast, I ran downstairs to hop on to the bike where Appa was waiting for a long time. Appa had to do dirt bike racing and I finally caught the bus due to the proficient driving skills that he had acquired from the practice I had given him from the past one year. Even without looking at my dad's face (Cannot see his eyes and ears turned red with anger) I said "Thanks Pa" and ran into the bus.

My bus pal was waiting for me to start a fresh topic of debate in the BTM, Hosur and EC traffic jams. A funny fight about something new is an ideal kick start for a day in an otherwise boring bus where most people sleep or gravely brood over world economic growth. Today we spoke about death metal and how disgustingly melodious it is. I descended from the bus without falling down or hurting my limbs, which by itself is a rare event, and hurried to the customary breakfast with friends. Breakfast time is the break/spill and laugh time. I discover an indigenous and innovative way to encounter a food accident, day after day. The more careful I get, more carelessly food or juice spills and invariably on the person next to me.

After breakfast, I walked into my office to find my teammates all equipped to battle a new error or a hardware catastrophe. I started the project application and Lo!

1 comment:

Mukul said...

enough of troubling ur appa n amma ... now eat ur hubby's head!

now write a post abt ur daily chores at US. it 'll b an interesting comparison! :-)